Groundwater Flooding

With unexpected and destructive flooding continuing to affect property owners across the country, investigating the potential risk has become even more important. The Law Society’s recent flood practice note provides information on the difference types of flooding that you need to consider and the various ways in which you can obtain the necessary advice for your client.

In addition to checking for all tpes of flood risk, our client needs to be aware of the insurability of the property. So it is important that the information you collect covers all these issues.

With so many different reports available to you, we can help you understand the differences between the reports and highlight some of the things you should look out for when deciding which product to buy.

Environmental reports
Most residential environmental reports include a flood screening section. However, this is unlikely to cover groundwater flooding. Furthermore, the result of the flood screening will not affect the Pass/Fail result on the summary so you need to look at the detail of the report to find out whether you need any further investigation.

TM Flood alert
The TM flood alert will tell you when the property you are dealing with has a risk of flooding. This is activated by any type of flooding, including groundwater flood. So, if the alert is activated, the easiest next step is to order a dedicated flood report to ensure you have provided the best solution for your client.

Dedicated flood reports
TM offers a variety of reports from different suppliers, so you can be sure to find the right report for your needs.

What’s in each report?
Some of the commercial environmental reports and all of the dedicated Flood reports cover all types of flood including groundwater flood.

Beecause groundwater flooding is a growing concern, the scope of the reports are likely to change so, if you are unsure, please ask your Account Manager or contact TM Helpdesk

Law Society
The Law Society practice note says:
‘In all conveyancing transactions … you should mention the issue of flood risk to your client and, if appropriate, make further investigations.’ More…>

The Environment Agency
Groundwater flooding happens when levels of water in the ground rise above the surface. It can affect property and structures above and below the ground. It is most likely to happen in areas where the ground contains aquifers. These are permeable rocks that water can soak into or pass through.

Keep Groundwater Out
If your property could flood through the ground, a pump will be the best way to keep water out. Other methods such as sandbags will be ineffective because water comes up through the ground. You are likely to have to pump water for days, weeks or months. Pumps work best when the inlet is installed in a low point where water can drain (a sump). More…>

Royal Institute of British Architects
A growing number of people and buildings of all types are threatened by flooding. If trends in climate change continue as predicted, the risk to property and livelihoods will only increase.

Living with Water
Is there a long-term vision for the development of the Thames Gateway, beyond creating thousands of new homes? In an area already prone to flooding, are we planning for a future of climate change, extreme weather events and higher seas? How safe is an investment in a business, home or building in the Thames Gateway?

Living with water? a publication by the Royal Institute of British Architects’ think-tank, Building Futures, considers the future of the development of the Thames Gateway and Estuary, looking at the likely impact flooding and increased flood risk will have, and the design implications. We expect to see house prices, commercial lettings and land prices begin to seriously reflect flood risk over the coming years, and this is something that can only increase greater and more financial awareness of flooding. For some in the UK this year such awareness will come too late. The floods are coming. Will you be prepared?

English Hertitage
Estimates suggest the number of people at high risk from flooding could rise from 1.5m to 3.5m by 2080. Currently around 400,000 homes and 75,000 businesses in England are located in areas where there is a significant annual chance of river or coastal flooding. Further properties are at risk from surface water or sewer flooding. many of these buildings will be of historic importance.

British Geological Survey

Understanding groundwater flooding mechanisms
Groundwater flooding can occur in a range of geological settings. BGS has undertaken research to assess the mechanisms for groundwater flooding in the two most vulnerable settings, areas of outcrop Chalk and river valleys underlain by permeable superficial deposits.

General information about groundwater flooding
For home buyers, planners and anyone that thinks they have been affected by groundwater flooding.

UK Groundwater Forum

Frequently asked questions
Here are a number of questions that are often asked in relation to groundwater. Some are of general interest, some relate to specific queries, such as drilling boreholes for drinking water supplies.
Is the water in my tap groundwater?…>
I want a borehole on my property as a source of drinking water, irrigation water or for industrial use, what should I do?..>
My property may be affected by groundwater flooding, what can I do?…>
I think my local stream is affected by groundwater pumping nearby, is this likely?…>
I’m worried that there may be an improper discharge to the ground in my neighbourhood…>
I have a well on my property and would like to know more about it…>
I have a well on my property that I would like to infill…>
Does divining actually work?…>

Flooding – another wet winter?

Monthly Poll: Does your flood report consider groundwater flood risk?